Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Night Gripe

by Nicole Richards-Sharpe

For anyone who is familiar with NYC traffic, you know it is packed with the most impatient, risk-taking drivers who simply defy rules and are driven by the need to achieve a one up, over their fellow road runners as often as possible.  Sometimes pedestrians are their "forks in the road", that get in the way.

Such is what happened to me tonight.  Why did I get the munchies and have to walk out in the cold just for a bag of Tostitos?  After picking them up from my local pharmacy, I started to return back home and waited for the light to change. I had the right of way, so I crossed the street and out of no where, a man driving a big SUV starts honking his horn for me to get out of his way so he could make his left turn. You would think his wife was in labor or he was bleeding profusely from a fresh gun shot wound and he was only trying to get to the hospital. No! He had to pull into the corner store because God forbid anyone buy that last honey bun!

I usually ignore these people but I was burning up inside and since I literally had to walk past him, I couldn't help but say something.

"So you had to almost hit me with your SUV so you could get right here? I applaud you!" Then I started clapping, a slow condescending clap. 

"No No. It wasn't like that.  I had the right of way."

"I am the pedestrian, I had the right of way."

"Well I beeped you."

I felt like I was speaking to a kid that was just learning how to ride a tricycle.  Could he really be so dense?

"People really need to stop buying their licenses." 

All the while I was walking away from him.  He started behind me. 

"Wait. Let me talk to you." He said.

"No thanks.  I'm done. Thank God, I'm alive." 

Well, that's my Sunday night gripe. Good night.

No comments: