Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Wolverine


Ambrosia aka Nicole Richards-Sharpe

I went out to see the newest release from the Marvel big screen explosion - The Wolverine.  A friend of mine who is a huge fan of the fiery mutant convinced me to see the film.  I have loved the character of Wolverine since childhood too but I did not plan on seeing it.  I honestly thought it would be a flop.  Why?  The commercial previews.  They were a convoluted mix of explosions and flying ninjas.  It reminded me of 8 different movies I saw before.  Nothing looked original.  Boy was I wrong!

This is the only time that I was glad to be duped.  At the outset of the film, I knew The Wolverine would be better than expected.  It opens with the immortal Wolverine, imprisoned in Nagasaki right before the U.S. drops their atom bomb on its civilians.  I don't want to give away anything but the explosions and flying ninjas actually fit into the film. 

I love the character of Wolverine.  Not having a concrete identity, he skirts between the human and animal community.  His animalistic nature actually helps him to be more "humane" than regular humans.  His love for a woman who he blames himself for murdering haunts him and dives him into a depression that he has to overcome.  His inner conflict and refusal to conform makes him an attractive hero.  And on the subject of attractive, no one can play Wolverine as convincingly as the sexy, multi-talented Hugh Jackman.  I'm happy he continues to say yes to the character.

Although I was pleasantly surprised as I started to watch The Wolverine, it still fell a little short towards the end.  It could have had a better ending.  I would still encourage you to see the film.  It is truly entertaining.  Like all Marvel films, stay after the credits for a sneak peek.  I will say no more. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A:

Thanks, as always for the movie reviews! I'll put this on the list.

L.S.