Sunday, June 9, 2013

Purging "The Purge"


Nicole Richards-Sharpe aka Ambrosia

So I returned to the theaters this weekend to see a film that I had no intention of watching.  With a spur of the moment invitation, I found myself in a theater with this (below) on the screen for 15 minutes before the real show began.



Anyway, I should have seen this computer malfunction as a warning to proceed with caution (or to run for the hills).  I must say that it also took all of the magic out of the movies before The Purge did.  About 20 minutes into the film, I realized I was duped. 

The Purge carries an enticing concept that you would think would be entertaining.  It's 2022 America and a no guilt/no arrest crime spree is instituted each year.  This is born out of the theory that all humans are inherently evil and thus need an opportunity to purge their hatred.  No emergency services are available during this 12-hour period and all crimes are legal, including murder that can only be carried out with class 4 weapons and below.

In this setting, you can imagine that the poor are the overwhelming victims.  The rich can afford top notch security systems. This is where the star, Ethan Hawke comes in.  He is a seller of these security systems.  This successful business has furnished his ticket to affluency, at the same time, inciting jealousy from neighbors. 

The previews with the psychos in the masks hopping around in private school uniforms and virginal white dresses sprinked in blood made the The Purge a hit, but it was totally disappointing.  The script spent too much time bring preachy.  Don't get me wrong, virtues are wonderful but when it is being forced down your throat during a movie that's supposed to be a thriller, it can be an annoyance.

The film was underdeveloped.  Scenes that should have been terrifying, made the audience laugh at the stupidity before their eyes.  People kept disappearing and reappearing with no real explanation.  I actually tried to fall asleep like the man behind me, rolling up my scarf as a make-shift pillow but the laughter and groans from the audience were too loud.
 
If you are bold enough to leave the comfort of your home to throw $14 away to your local theater all in an effort to be annoyed, I am curious as to your take on this film.  I am currently trying to purge my memory of The Purge.

Next: THE MAN OF STEEL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning! Better luck with the super guy. L.S.

by Ambrosia and Epiphany said...

Your welcome. Man of Steel was sooooooooooooo much better. No comparison. A must see. See my recent post, "Man of Steel". There is a SPOILER ALERT at the third paragraph on so proceed with caution. :-)