Monday, July 2, 2012

WRITER'S BLOCK


Writer's Block – The scourge of perfectly good writers.  Why does it happen?  How can I break out of it?  Some people say there is no such thing as writer’s block.  They say it’s not real, simply an excuse not to write.  Well I have been experiencing this unreal thing for the past year and I don’t know how to escape it.  I have so many ideas for different novels swimming around my head, waiting to be fished out.  I can see them in my mind’s eye, playing out like a vibrant movie but as soon as I get to my computer, I get bored and start internet surfing.  Then I fall asleep.  When I wake up, I feel guilty for surfing and not writing.  I wish I could hook my brain up to a computer and think out all the scenes and scenarios and turn them into print at the flick of the switch.  Is it laziness?  Am I a product of my microwave society that wants what they want NOW?  Am I putting too much emphasis on it? 
When I was younger, I wrote for fun!  It was exciting and took me away to my own imaginary world.  Now when I think about writing, I put pressure on myself.  I think, “I better make this one marketable so people will eat it up and I can become the next J.K. Rowling.”  I think that’s part of my problem.  I have lost the joy of writing and replaced it with a man with a bull horn yelling, “Emergency!  This one better be good.  You’re running out of time.  You aren’t getting any younger!!!”  Can anyone give me any suggestions to beat this Writer’s Block??? Ughhhhh….
-AmBrOsIa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Writing about writer's block is one way - and well done here! My trick is to just pick an arbitrary thing to write about, a funny word, a poem, writing a joke (not easy), an opinion; something to get the fingers moving and the words flowing. It does not have to be good. You can always take what ever comes out and rework it later.

I had a thought the other day when some people were Obama bashing. I said out loud, "Do you want a guy who took on a mess and made progress or do you want a "Biff" (common white rich guy nickname) for President?" Well, that got me writing.

L.S.