Friday, May 13, 2011

TGIF the 13th??


Well how can one person manage to do 13 superstitious things just getting ready for work? 

In an effort to avoid such things I managed to only make things worse. 

Upon waking I touched my left foot on the floor first (1).  Being annoyed by this I cracked the mirror in the bathroom retrieving my shave cream (2).   

Trying to make up for this I figured I'd throw some salt over my shoulder for good luck, but the cap on the shaker was loose and I spilled salt all over the place (3).

Frustrated, I sat at the table and tried to eat my recently salted cereal, inadvertently dropping and then picking up a knife (4).    So forlorn by all this I began to sing "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" (5) quickly stopping myself when I realized singing at the table is bad luck; plus everyone else in the house was sleeping. 

Trying to right the ship I went into the living room and looked out the window at the quiet street, but found myself unconsciously rocking the empty rocking chair; darn! (6) 

Not wanting to temp fate I moved my sister's purse to the floor so I could reach the umbrella to put it in the closet.  I had to take a hat off the shelf to do so. 

I threw the hat carelessly on the bed (7), picked up the umbrella, which opened (8) and was so taken aback I forgot about the purse on the floor (9). 

"That's it", I said, and I decided I should just get out of the house and go to work.  As I left the house I walked directly under a ladder (10) as a black cat crossed my path (11). 

Then as I approached my car I heard a hooting sound.  I looked up to the amazing sight of an owl in the daylight (12).  Being so taken in by this I did not notice the crack in the sidewalk I had successfully avoided for 15 years (13) and stepped right on it. 

I got in my car and took a deep breath knowing the rest of the day was going to be fine. 

(None of this happened of course, but what fun anyway.) 

Happy Friday the 13th!


Photo Credit:  Jade A/Canada

No comments: