Sunday, April 4, 2010

It's Only $70.00/lb

How much? My hubby said, "maybe I didn't hear right", "$17.00?" "No, $70.00 a pound 7- 0." She repeated slowly. "Yes I still want that piece." Yes, yes I know, my husband has an issue with me and yes this is our counseling forum.  

His issue - well, I have a tendency to walk into any store or open any catalogue and pick the most expensive thing. I always choose the most expensive restaurants and so on. But today took the cake for him or should I say - the chocolate. 

I didn't think anything of it, as I perused -the candy by the pound- store, I saw this bar of what look liked homemade chocolate with hazelnuts, cranberries, pistachios, raisins, roasted almonds and dark chocolate. Delicious!!  I thought, and right up my alley. Like I normally do,  I stunned by husband into silence. "What's the big deal?" Money is really - just money and you can't take it with you - Right?!". Besides this is really cheap compared to other chocolates.

As usual,  he was dumbfounded at my innate ability to pick the most expensive thing in the store. "What's makes it so expensive", he queried. The sales lady just looked at him like hello, have you been under a rock, I said " Oh honey it is the Ecuadorian Chocolate". Oooookaaayyyy!
Love what you love and if you can afford it, buy it. Life is too short. Oh wait what about all the poor people in the world? Well, that a good point isn't it? Well, I suppose if you can afford to buy something expensive, like a pound of this chocolate, then think of all the wonderful ways that $70.00 helped the citizens of the world. The lady who sold it to me, the company that provides the retail space, the electricity, the plastic bag factory that has many levels of employment. The truck drivers, and don't forget the fruit and nut growers, and the Ecuadorian organic and free trade cocoa growers - just to name a few. If we really think about it in the grand scheme of things, all of those folks are employed and then go out and spend money in the food stores, in restaurants, going on vacation, buying gas for their cars, buying houses and sending their kids to school.
I'd say that $70.00 just went around the world, enriched some lives and allowed a family to enjoy another day of peace of mine. Not to mentioned I did something good for the economy and had a delightful treat in the process. 


Enjoy!!

PS: My husband wanted to charge me ten bucks for the bite you see missing in the photo above.  Wow, talk about an easy profit.

No comments: