Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Harry Potter Getting Hotter?

by Ambrosia

The sixth installment of the Harry Potter series-"The Half Blood Prince" has already grossed over $158 million in less than a week. The biggest blockbuster of the year by far. The highest grossing Harry Potter film to date. The series never lets down its die hard fans. I think the film was written intelligently and keeps in mind the original young fans of the books who are happily growing along with the characters in this 'coming of age' movie. Unusual you may say but not really. Hermoine, Ron and Harry are real to their fans and here in lies the bond that they all share. Big kids, like myself, love Harry Potter too and can relate to the mischief and the dreamed about magic that permeates the films.


What I wasn't too keen on was the story itself. It's translation unto the screen left a couple of holes for me. For example, the infamous Half Blood Prince was revealed at the end but then I had many questions like, Why? When? How? What does this mean?. It felt as though the film was meant mainly for people who have read the books. And no, I have not read "The Half Blood Prince" although it sits in my mini library. I did pull it out after the movie but that was it. Very bad. I'll try again tonight to try to find answers to my questions.


What I loved was the unmatchable, cinematography. Beauty in motion. If you watched the film on mute you would still be mesmerized. Absolutely spellbinding. The director, David Yates, has done it again, masterfully directing the last Potter movie and this one. When you go away from this film you will still be haunted (in a good way) by the images.


Everything is coming together beautifully as the Harry Potter series comes down to its last installment-"The Deathly Hallows". (Sigh) I'm going to miss them.

No comments: