Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Seven Pounds of Tears


by Ambrosia

I saw Will Smith in his latest film, “Seven Pounds”. We are all well aware of Mr. Smith’s acting prowess which seems to be growing with every dramatic role he plays. His performance was so superb in this installment that I wouldn’t be surprised if he was nominated for an Oscar. With that said, now I can get to the nitty gritty. I was not very excited to write a review about “Seven Pounds” because for one-I can not review it without spoiling the ending for people who have not seen it already (a sin in Hollywoodville) and two-It was oh so depressing.

I loved Will’s performance and the film was written and directed brilliantly, but I cried and cried and then cried some more when I thought I was finished. In my humble opinion, this is not the kind of film I want to sit down and enjoy in these Depressing times. The media keeps saying that we are in a Recession but when they continuously compare the numbers of this economic crisis to the Great Depression, we have to face reality. We are in a Depression! During the Great Depression, comedy relief was needed and that was all that you saw in theaters and on stage. We need Comedic Intervention in these times, not more depression. If we want to cry, all we have to do is turn on the news or look at our bank statements. We don’t need help in that arena. And then someone had the bright idea of releasing this film on Christmas Day. Oh, Happy Day! I’m sorry but I just had to get that off my chest. If “Seven Pounds” came out early in 2008, when we were all still oblivious to the under the table Wall Street wheeling and dealing, I would probably have a different view. “Seven Pounds” displays the good and bad of the human spirit; A great movie but wrong timing for me. I need a comedy fix. Where's Charlie Chaplin when you need him...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Darling...that was an interesting take and quite true. We could use a Charlie Caplin or Harold Llyod or even some Carol Burnett these days...But chin up - great thing about things being down is that they have no where to go but up..so get ready for the ride!

I know I am looking forward to it.

Blessings,
An Avid Reader of your blog