Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YES WE CAN!


Ambrosia

AND WE DID! Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States of America . I never thought I would be alive to see a person of color elected President of the United States. The same stairs of the White House that slaves broke their backs building will be climbed by Obama at his Presidential Inauguration in January 2009. This really was a historic election from beginning to end as young people and first time voters came out in droves to lend their voices to Democracy. Yesterday was my first time voting as well. The reason I haven’t voted before is simple and complicated. I was part of a religion that forbids voting. The religion took Bible texts and contorted them out of context. According to the religion, ‘the whole world lies in the power of the wicked one (Satan)’. Also, ‘man can not direct man’s steps’. So a vote for any human ruler, is essentially a vote for Satan. I am so happy that I grew up and out of that brainwashing. Although I left the religion 4 years ago, I still felt some fear welling up as I simply filled out the voter registration form just last month. When Election Day finally came upon us, excitement radiated from my skin and I marched myself right to the polls with my oldest daughter. It was such a beautiful moment when we pulled the curtain and I was finally inside. I explained to my daughter how to vote and she helped me pull the red lever to the right and then to the left. An immovable smile etched straight across my face as I stepped out to the light of day and the smiling faces of the election volunteers. We were engaged in an unspoken conversation. “Thank you.”, the two ladies said in unison. And I said, “No, Thank you!”

2 comments:

Louis said...

"We are the ones we've been waiting for."

Anonymous said...

that was very brave...Kudos and Thanks!