Saturday, October 25, 2008

If I Could Tell My Heart Where To Go


Ambrosia (mused by Nina Simone as she sang "If You Knew")


I wish I could tell my heart where to go
It always goes astray
Out of the box and into the wild
Searching for a strange home to stay
Made up of different colors and different ways
My heart always goes astray

If I could tell my heart where to go
It wouldn’t leave and wander
Out of the box and into the wild
Searching foreign intimates to ponder
New beaus it finds fonder
My heart does wander

If I had a hold on my heart
It wouldn’t leave to explore
Out of the box and into the wild
Searching exotic types to adore
Hand in hand to the shore
Looking for more
My heart does explore

If I could control my heart
It wouldn’t seek to get hurt
Out of the box and into the wild
Seeking a partner in just a T-shirt
To jump out of his box and flirt
And experience his own growth spurt
But it always comes back hurt

The waves roll, the winds blow
Some parts see snow
And my heart always goes
Where it wants

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we should all dare to jump out and love

L said...

I wonder if we listen to our hearts enough.

Instead of telling our heart where to go,
just follow it to see if where it wants is where we need to be.

Maybe then we can make sure that it does not come back hurt or we can place it in the hands of someone who will take better care of it than we ourselves do.

Beside, unexpressed love is not always unrequited love.

Your poems have the wisdom of age and the vitality of youth. They cause my imagination to soar and my emotions to expand.They touch my heart more with each reading.

Casey said...

Hi! Thank you for being considerate and crediting me for my artwork. I'm glad you like it!

:)