Sunday, September 21, 2008

Where does the time go?

by Ambrosia


“Eat your food. Do you know how many starving children in Ethiopia and Kenya would love to eat that food that you’re wasting?” My daughter then looked up at me with doe eyes. This morning I did it. I can’t believe I finally did it. I became my mother! I’ve been very conscious not to say certain statements tinged with guilt that she would sling at me as a child. But today, I did it. I mean, it is true though. There are many children all around the world that are starving. But when a kid is sitting in front of a plate of cold eggs or a bowl of broccoli, I am sure that regardless of what you or I say as adults, all they are thinking about is an escape plan.

Time really flies. Just the other day I was a kid without a care in the world. Now I am a full fledged bill-paying adult, with kids, armed and dangerous in guilt trip mode. Where does the time go? I wonder how old I will have to get before I finally realize that I am OLD?! Will it be when I’m cutting out coupons for Ben-gay? Or when I start holding a conversation with myself? I just had to share this with all of you thirty and forty something year old's who are finding themselves pathetically imitating their parents to the T. And don’t even let me get started about the two gray hairs I found…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A & E
Love that photo it is exactly how I feel on a daily basis.

Well put...I do repeat many things that my mother once said to my brother and I, that I swore I would never say to my children...LOL!

cheers,
yellowpeacock