Saturday, August 2, 2008

FILM...HONEY


"THE MUMMY-TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR

Ambrosia's Take 5

The third installment to “The Mummy” franchise was not disappointing when it came to action and adventure. The screenplay succeeded in reinventing the series, thus making it fresh and entertaining by having it take place in China instead of Egypt (although I personally enjoy the Egyptian setting better). In this film, Brendan Fraser who plays, Rick O’Connell and new comer Maria Bello, who plays his wife, Evie, all of the sudden have a college aged son. The last time I checked, he was 10 years old. Although 7 years have passed since the last movie, I think audiences were looking more for a continuation to the fun. I'm a firm believer in, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' And something was missing besides Rachel Weisz who, in the first two movies, played the whimsically knowledgeable Evie much more brilliantly.

Sitting through this installment felt like being stuck in a relationship with someone I steadily fell out of love with. I miss the good old days of 1999 and 2001 when Part I and Part II erupted on the big screen. Don't get me wrong, there were some high points, but somehow, I knew everything that was going to happen long before it happened and when that happens, the franchise needs to be laid to rest, mummified and entombed with no hope of a resurrection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was acurately written, I could not agree more.
Thumbs sideways!!